I take it all back! I love, love, LOVE Melbourne! The weather certainly didn't disappoint...always cold and alternately overcast, drizzly or blowing a dog off a chain but it mattered naught. I've been back in Brisbane for three days now and I still can't stop thinking about the experience. I was amazed at the architecture and how much of the 'old' Melbourne has been retained in comparison to Brissy which seems to have torn down most of its treasures. On the first night in town Mum and I caught 'Chicago' at Her Majesty's and it had me yearning for her equivalent in Brisbane that was ripped down years ago. Also I'd heard that the shopping and restaurants were excellent but nothing prepared me for the sheer volume of choices and quality. Some of the highlights:
1. Eating a Kransky in pastry bought from a hole-in-the-wall for $3!
2. Spying the homeless guy from the ABC show 'Choir of Hard Knocks'
3. Riding the trams and people watching. Check out the slideshow.
4. Haggling for a fabulous hat bought at the Queen Victoria Markets.
5. Wondering why the hell everyone in Melbourne wears black.
6. Chatting with a guide about Cptn Cook and molesting his statue.
7. Admiring the cyclamen at the conservatory in the Fitzroy Gardens.
8. Getting lost in Brunswick. (thanks to Brad the Dickhead Navman)
9. Spying 'Metrosexual Man' in the Young & Jackson pub on Flinders.
10. Being cracked onto by an Italian barrista half my age! Woohoo! Some of the lowlights: 1. The amount of homeless people. They're much more visible in Melbourne than Brisbane. One morning I heard a noisy row occuring in the St Pauls cathedral thoroughfare and later saw a cleaner dispose of blood stained cardboard that had obviously been used for bedding.
2. Not enough Merlo coffee.
3. Having to pay for parking at the hotel and lug my own suitcase.
4. Being charged for a mini-bar item that I didn't have. Grrrr.
5. Not being able to get a life-time supply of goat's cheese pizza from an Italian place on Lygon Street. Simply the best I've ever eaten!