Scratching my own funny bone for shits and giggles. Lampooning books, music and being a single woman over 40. Recording observations with an almost Seinfeldian obsession for the minutiae of life. Things can get sweary around here. You understand.

Monday, March 30, 2009

A CULINARY WARNING

Anyone been to Sizzler’s lately? I went last night (for the first time in about ten years) due to utter exhaustion after what I like to call ‘the day of a thousand squats’ (read sugar-soaping and painting half a house) Mysteriously, my memory of this smorgasbord establishment was limited to the delicious parmesan cheese toast which instantly appears at your table on arrival. Somehow, in my delirious state of hunger, I failed to remember the health scare that threatened to close the chain down irrevocably a couple of years ago. Sadly, I was reminded of this the moment I laid eyes on a chubby boy wiping his nose and fingering the spaghetti noodles. I realize I should've bolted at that point, but I’d already paid for the meal and endured the simpleton cashier informing me that her day had ranged from levels of ‘shit’ to ‘crap’ so I figured I could handle just about anything. My daughter is nearly sixteen, so it’s been a while since I’ve frequented a ‘family restaurant’ and dined with small children. I forgot how much fun it is watching tantrums and having Creaming Soda and ice spilt all over my Diana Ferrari’s…or the unmitigated joy to be had in fighting over the last scoop of Smarties with a pug-faced eight year old and winning…and let’s not forget the atrocious table manners of which, if it had been me as a child, would’ve earned me a good old-fashioned clip around the ears. I watched this kid with an enormous plate of potato wedges at the next table. Apparently you can either eat them or use them to assemble furniture. The adults weren’t much better either. First I observed an angry mother berate her child and spray her fellow diners with alfredo sauce and then it was a huge man wearing a lurex tank top in fluorescent yellow demolish three plates of lips and arseholes…err I mean seafood extender... with his big grubby fingers. My mother always told me ‘never eat anything bigger than your head’. In Sizzler it should be ‘never eat anything that looks like it needs third party insurance’. And that was just the salad bar. Then came the meal. My friend Aussie ordered the grilled prawns: of which their size gave a ring of accuracy to the term ‘shrimp’ and I ordered the Swiss-grilled chicken which quite frankly tasted like…well…the grill. ‘Did you enjoy your meal Miss?’ enquired the waitress. I just rolled my eyes wearily at her. After all...it’s impolite to laugh out loud with your mouth full.

25 comments:

brian said...

Kids+Sizzlers/ Pizza Hut. (Cue theme song 'Memories' segue to 'Welcome to My Nightmare')

Strange phenomena - the stand alone restaurants have been dissappearing. Only Pizza Hut I know of is a store front in a strip mall.

Nautilus said...

Sizzler went under in Victoria quite some time ago, no surprise really.

"never eat anything that looks like it needs third party insurance" almost made me spit out the mouthful of Pepsi trying not to laugh. I think you need a warning on your posts "Do not attempt to consume food or drink while reading".

YsambartCourtin said...

Sounds like it may stay as a memory to me.

Moko said...

Yeah, fricken dump. Everytime I consider going to a joint like that I remind myself "What does a 16 year know about safe food practices?". Sure as shit they barely teach them, and sure as shit the kids don't give a toss.....well, the type they should.

The Rhino said...

That was fantastic ... and horribly true.

Glad to see you are back in tip top form.

LERMONTOV said...

SOunds as bad as the Indian joint that Chaz chose!

Nautilus said...

Do you guys have Smorgys in QLD?

bangarrr said...

Definitely a place not to be seen at.

Therbs said...

Its bad news when you have to compete with 8 year olds for Smarties. They're usually too quick for me.
I reckon you should have smuggled beer into Sizzlers as opposed to the thee-A-ter the other night.

Barnesm said...

Oh yes indeed, while all you can eat has a cache when you are a starving student as one learns to cook you realise for the same reasonable price you can buy and prepare your onw smaller but edible meal.

I can remember a number of share house food challanges held at the sizzler's up the road from where I once lived.

One memorable occasion where all the the residents were laid out after a particularly horrendous eating binge that culminated in consuming one of the mucilagious, brown deserts.

Was never sure if the prostrate flatmates were due to the volume of food consumed, mild food poisoning or simple internal bowel cramping horror at the thought of what had just been done, perhaps all three.

Ms NatV another glorious post, and just to say its great to be reading you again.

Guru Bob said...

I am sorry but what did you expect if you go to Sizzler? Top notch table service and food???

It is always worth going the extra distance just to avoid those places...

Flinthart said...

Jeez, Barnes... I'd forgotten the dreaded Sizzler's Challenge nights. D'you remember the hideously distended shape of Doug's belly afterwards? What I liked most was making the fucker laugh -- even giggling set him near to puking his guts. Course, I recall that laughing hurt the hell out of me, too, at the time, but it was just so much fun to fuck with Doug's head like that.

That was the day we caught a cab the three blocks homeward, wasn't it? Just couldn't fucking walk...

NatV: I'm with Nautilus -- that line about 'third-party insurance' was gold, and I'm going to steal it sometime. Meanwhile... no more Sizzler for you! I can send you some recipes if you like. They worked for Beeso, and for my fellow writers in Montvile. Reckon they'd work for you, too!

Chaz said...

lerm, sorry what was that girlie whinge from Mr "is a vindaloo hot?". it's okay the nexty tiem we celebrate Chaz Day in brissy I'll make sure it's somewhere top notch and you can pay...

Nat, excellent post and wholey true. Marcela hates Sizzlers, we went to one that was attached to a local local multiplex cinema and it was an experience for her. Normally she will eat anywhere..no longer. When the add's come on the TV she even makes declarations about it being bad marketing.

Of course being the loving, caring husband I am, I never point out her lack of egaletartianism (?) when it comes to these particular eateries...

Me? I am a firm believer that if average wines cost over $50 a bottle it must be a good place to eat!!

brian said...

Ever try Sizzlers for Christmas lunch? (Intro - 'Night on Bald Mountain' with 'River Dance' dash to the toots)
Jeezus - the things I had to put up with in order that my kids would eat something.
This is why I can tolerate nay glory in curries.

abefrellman said...

Mmm cheesy parmesan bread. Yum.

uamada said...

Last time i went there, I got in trouble from my mother for showing off because i ordered the steak.
it was a terrible steak

Steve said...

Sizzler is in the US too. That, along with the likes of Western Sizzlin, Ryans, and Golden Corral, should all use the same motto: "Quantity over Quality." Any restaurant that people change into stretchy pants, or taking off good shoes to put on sneakers, should be avoided.

And Nat, this is why the camera phone was invented....to show the world a man in a fluorescent yellow lurex tanktop. Next time, THINK OF YOUR READERS!

Anneal said...

laughing out loud

NowhereBob said...

In my dim & distant past I served 8 months on "Hot side" at the infamous Sizzler.
The sole redeeming feature was that I worked with 2 of my best mates. The 3 of us had that puppy cranking and had a laugh a minute. They wanted to sack us for inumerable offences but wouldn't because we were the only team that could keep up with a busy friday night.
The only thing worth ordering (IMHO) was the chicken, avocado & bacon burger, and that was only because we doubled the bacon ration.

FYI
Mix 70% margerine + 30% Parmesan.
Spread heavily on 1 side of thick cut day old white bread.
Fry on hob (dry 'lectric frypan would do.)

MickH said...

Well...
I don't mind sizzlers...
occasionally.
But its expensive for what you get. Why do you guys think that it's cheap?

I can get a steak, chips and salad with a glass of wine for $15 at the Prince Alfred hotel a block away.
Much better! Except for the constant 'ching' of the pokies in the background, still, that's a lot better than the eye watering scream of a 3 yr old.

We had a Christmas dinner there once, about 15 years ago. for the price (it wasn't cheap) we a expected a step up in quality (didn't get it) and unlimited quantity (didn't get that either).

So now we have the choice of eating at the Prince Albert, Santino's or Nando's as well these days. Sizzler doesn't win very often, if at all.

NATALIA THE RUSSIAN SPY said...

MICK: Yeah at least pub meals are a little more honest!

BOB: Thanks for the recipe doll!...man I would love to see you and your posse in action.

ANNEAL: Hey you. How ya doin'?

STEVE: Most people at Sizzler haven't heard of an iron or closed in shoes either babe. And I would love to post photos from the mobile but unfortunately the brick I own is not that flash!

U: Ha!!!

ABE: It's still the best thing about the place Sausage Man.

BRIAN: I do love the musical soundtrack that accompanies your comments...LOVE it!

CHAZ: Marcella is a lucky girl!

FLINT: I would love some of your recipes...but please...don't get the impression I can't cook! My lamb shanks are to die for ;-)

GURU: Ha! You Melbourne people...I don't know! *PFFT*

BARNES: I love it when you and Flint play tag team with stories from the day.

THERBS: Oh they had beer...if XXXX Gold is considered a beer ;-)

BANG: I felt positively glamourous in that place.

NAUT: Not as many these days as in the 80s. Used to be a brilliant one on the border of Qld and NSW...at the Tweed RSL. Glad you liked the line!

LERM: Not a fan of Indian? Hush boy hush!

MOKO: Not only were the staff rude and stupid...they was UGLY!

RHINO: Thanks big guy!

Anneal said...

Just another beautiful day on the wrong side of the earth!

bangarrr said...

Nat, didn't mean to infer you wouldn't be glamorous anywhere, just you wouldn't want it in the gossip rags that you where eating there.

Guru Bob said...

For a real steak try here:

http://www.thestationhotel.com.au/food.html

Possible venue for next Melbourne burger get-together...

Steve said...

Everybody meet at Nat's house this weekend for lamb shanks and beer!!!!!

Post a Comment

Tell me something I don't already know :D